My final design assignment of the academic year requires me to design and make a Rude Golberg/reaction chain system.

I approached this assignment by first listing the items I had available in my home that I could somehow use in my machine. …


Yesterday evening I finished off all aspects of my obstacle course assignment and brought them all together for one complete video.

With my elegoo robot now modified, the next task was to programme the Arduino to navigate through the course without touching any obstacles before catching ping pong balls at…


Detailed in my earlier blogs, my obstacle course assignment is nearly complete. This post details the modifications I have made to my elegoo tumbler to help it navigate through the course.

The assignment requires me to programme my elegoo to make its way through the course and back. Taking a…


A professor once told our class never to “Fall in love with your design”, I thought I understood what he had said, but my recent experiences have brought new meanings to the words.

Rewind to the beginning of April. I have the basics of my launcher locked down, the tasks…


Yup Yup 7up, where there is patience there is progress. The last few weeks I have been developing my home made ping pong ball launcher for the use in my obstacle course assignment. The assignment requires the building and setup f an obstacle course for my assembled elegoo to navigate…


My elegoo tumblr kit arrived in the post from Trinity over the weekend. I quickly opened my kit and set out to assemble it.

All Components found in the tumblr kit

Along with the kit, came an assembly instruction book that included information on the elegoo’s features and accessibility. The assembly began with screwing the two motor…


As mentioned in previous posts, my next assignment is the design and manufacture of a ping pong ball launcher. Initial ideas spread over a wide range although i always had the thought that compressed air would be my main source of power for my design.

My initial idea,(and back up…


The final render of my elegoo robot is finally complete. From my last post, I have added small details to the model including more detailed tyres, more additions to the motherboard, wiring and the addition of screws.

By far the most difficult task was creating the wires. I created the…


I have just completed my first render of the ELEGO CAD model. Remote pc has taken some getting used to as I am working remotely from home, the smaller screen and connection issues have presented another challenge in completing this assignment. …


My latest assignment involves constructing and programming a self balancing robot, Elegoo. Whilst I am waiting for my robot to arrive in the post, I have started constructing a CAD model of the design on Solidworks. So far I have created each part and just have to mate the parts together.

Elegoo Parts

Michael William O'Dolan

Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store